Monday, March 9, 2009

Inoculated City

Hey Y'all,

sorry about the lack of updatedness, I mean to fix that in the coming days. An explanation: Late two thursdays ago, I spontaneously decided to buy a plane ticket to go home to NY and visit the family, and after one night out saying goodbye to Copenhagen, I hopped on a plane Saturday afternoon and started my trek home. About 5 diet cokes, two bad movies, and 12 hours later, I was home in my kitchen eating popcorn with my family.

Some highlights of the trip-Going to Yoga at the JCC with my mom. Those jewish women really know how to stretch it out, and I am always impressed by my lack of flexibility and the sheer length of my legs from the ground every time I go. Plus, its one of the only times my mother can tell me im doing something wrong, and how to fix it (ha!). Ron and I rented a U-haul for the afternoon in order to fix the roof on Bertha, who I am proud to report is up and running.

What else..I love being hyper around my family. They never have enough energy and love of life, so I bring it hard, sometimes to their dismay. My lack of ability to be quiet or speak in a whisper comes in handy here. I also got to eat some great home cooking and talk to some of my family members, which was really important.

I also had the pleasure of heading back to campus for 36 hours. It was great to catch up with friends who I haven't seen in almost a year because they were abroad. Of course at such a small school there were too many people realizing I was there and asking the same old, what are you doing here and how is abroad questions. I became the master at diffusing this; it felt like the first day of school all over again where everyone asks how your summer was but they don't really care anyway. Well school was sunny and also had almost a foot of snow, being warmer and snowier all in one than Rochester. I want to thank all my Wes friends for being so great, welcoming, and understanding. It was great seeing all of you and getting a taste of school, I wish I could have stayed longer.

I also got to meet up with my friend Alexa in Grand Central right before heading back to CPH. She is in law school now and is getting married in May! So it was great to hear about all the details of that.

So what have I done in CPH? First I unpacked. Because of the cost of food in Copenhagen, I brought 25 pounds of groceries with me in my pack to stock up my shelf. I took a MONSTER needed nap after getting off the plane, and after a quick shower, I went to an Animal Collective show. If you guys don't know who they are, please check them out. Their latest album, Merryweather Post Pavilion, has been getting rave reviews and many think it is one of the best (or will be) albums of the year, combining synth pop, psychadelia, and strange otherworldly sounds. If you can describe them better than me, hats off to you, cause they are hard to encapsulate. Anyway, they came on stage to a packed crowd of over a thousand Danes, young and old. I was actually surprised by the amount of middle-aged people in the crowd. Playing a very ambient set that slowly built from strange emmittances and repeated beats, you couldn't help but close your eyes and follow the swirling sounds around your own head. By the end the crowd was dancing and pushing, singing "Is it much, to admit I need/A solid soul and the blood I bleed/With a little girl, and by my spouse/I only want a proper house." And at almost forty dollars a ticket, the crowd was certainly willing to help provide for these scruffy musicians turning their little knobs agreeing, "I don't mean to seem like I care about material things..."

The rest of the weekend was spent mostly in bed and catching up on papers; whoo jetlag!

Coming up-another dinner party, three tests this week, and last night I bought tickets to meet up with mitch in Budapest! Jagshemesh! I like!

1 comment:

  1. can anyone ever have enough energy and love of life?
    I don't think so.. bring it on...

    like yo mama hanging from a wire literally flying through the jungle canopy in costa rica..

    ReplyDelete